An African Retreat for Men | With Boyd Varty
Somewhere in the African bushveld, just before dawn, a small group of men sit in silence as the last stars fade. They carry no cellphones and wear no watches. They are still, listening for the clues that will tell them where to begin the day’s animal tracking.
When the signal comes–the roar of a lion, the alarm call of a nyala–they stir, and as a group they move forward to cut the track. They are on the trail, where the challenge and the adventure begins. They rely on each other absolutely and their shared endeavour gives rise to that rarest thing in the modern world: a true sense of brotherhood.
This is your call to adventure: join them.
A message from Boyd
For a long time I have been passionate about creating a men’s retreat that combines wilderness adventure and personal development. In 2017, I am inviting six men to join me at Londolozi Game Reserve in South Africa to learn the ancient and powerful art of animal tracking. This retreat is unlike anything else in the world.
Working with two of my closest friends, Alex Van Den Heever and Renias Mhlongo, who are also among the world’s best trackers, we will combine on-foot tracking of lion, leopard and rhino in pristine wilderness with intense personal coaching.
As trackers, we go where the tracks take us, to places most visitors will never go. As you track your way into hidden parts of the country and learn about unexpected aspects of animal behavior, you’ll notice that something is starting to shift in you.
You will start to discover you are part of this wild story.
We will do deep personal work on this retreat, but that does not mean we’ll be sitting around talking about our feelings. We will be having an adventure together, a shared endeavor in the wild. And that, even before the coaching begins, will prompt the beginnings of your transformation and you will begin to feel a new aliveness as you track these magnificent creatures.
I believe that tracking animals in the wild is one of the best ways for men to create profound personal transformation and access a new vision for their lives. This retreat is designed to meet needs that are going unmet in the modern world: the need for visioning, charting a course, and immersion in wild places. You will discover that tracking your life’s purpose is very much like tracking a lion.
By bringing together the best trackers in the world and the best coaching, the Track Your Life Retreat offers an utterly unique experience that will show you how to follow the tracks to your wildest self as you create your wildest dreams.
“Boyd, thanks for inviting me to the TYL adventure at Londolozi. The experience was everything I hoped for…and more. The facilities and staff are second to none, the campfire stories were incredibly special, pre-dawn in the bush was simply magical, the on-foot tracking of big animals was awe inspiring, the group of men you invited brought humor and honesty to our shared journey…all of it was outstanding. But most important to me was the environment you created that allowed exploration of my personal path forward. The tracking metaphor and the tools you offered are truly changing my life. ~ Andy”
- Access to world-class trackers and coaching in one of the best tracking venues on the planet.
- An intimate group of no more than six men.
- Personalized support coaching.
- Daily on-foot tracking experiences of lions, leopards, elephant and rhino.
- World-class accommodation and gourmet meals at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, bordering the Kruger National Park in South Africa.
- Game drives with sightings of exceptional wildlife, including lions, cheetahs, hippos, leopards, zebra, giraffe and rhino.
- A unique adventure among a select group of men, that will be transformative and fun.
You Will Gain
- A new perspective on how to live your life.
- Effective strategies for your life and livelihood.
- A new model of power through presence.
- The ability to create your own narrative, which allows you to shape and create new experiences in your life.
- A pinnacle life experience, your own Hero’s Journey.
- A community of like-minded men to support you on that journey.
Your Tracker Tools
You will return home from this retreat with a reawakened sense of your own wildness, taking with you the tools of a tracker:
- Use your body’s signals as a compass to navigate the uncertain terrain of your life.
- Establish your unique trail and boldly follow it.
- Decipher increasingly subtle signals from yourself and from the environment, allowing you to make faster and finer course corrections along the way.
- Move fluidly between between extreme detail and a broad vision for yourself.
- Generate an energy state that is playful, focused, resilient and committed.
- The ability to create what you want in the world.
If you feel your spirit lifting at the prospect of this adventure, you can claim your spot now by emailing Stephanie Hallock or by completing this form below:
Track Your Life | Retreat Schedule
Day 1: Connecting with Your Inner Landscape
- 1:00pm | Lunch on arrival at Londolozi. Taste the world-class cuisine on the deck at Varty Camp and get to know your fellow participants and facilitators.
- 2:00pm | Tracking presentation: an introduction to tracking by Alex.
- 3:30pm | Orientation and afternoon game drive. Get into the Land Rover and out into the wilderness to search for a variety of animal species such as Leopard, Elephant, Lion, Giraffe, Rhino and Zebra.
- 7:00pm | Dinner and briefing for Day 2.
Day 2: Presence and Process
- 6:00am | Dawn departure for tracking demonstration. You will be introduced to the art of trailing a rhino or lion. As trackers you will begin to sense the connection between tracking and a way of living.
- 10:00am | Breakfast, group coaching and debrief from the morning drive.
- 12:00 – 3:00pm | Lunch, rest and private coaching sessions.
- 3:00pm | Afternoon tracking session and evening game drive.
- 6:00pm | Dinner, campfire storytelling.
Day 3: Visioning
- 6:00am | Dawn departure for lion tracking. Day three is all about tracking one of the many prides of lions at Londolozi. Participants will begin to lead the trailing, supported by Boyd, Alex and Renias.
- 11:30am | Debrief in the wilderness. After debriefing we will drive home to camp for brunch and private coaching sessions.
- 3:30pm | Track and sign lesson. We will return to the bushveld for a lesson in learning to notice and all that this practice means for our lives.
- 6:00pm | Dinner around the campfire.
Day 4: Putting your skills into practice
- 6:00am | Dawn departure for big game trailing session.
- 10:00am | Breakfast and leopard tracking demonstration from Alex & Renias. A lesson in reading the signs. Coming to an awareness of the energy state you are generating: reading animal body language and learning to read energy.
- 12:00 – 3:00pm | Lunch, rest and private coaching sessions.
- 3:00pm | Rhino tracking.
- 6:00pm | Dinner under the stars.
Day 5: Integration
- 6:00am | Morning game drive
- 10:00am | Breakfast, closing discussion and departure.
Your registration includes:
Coaching and a myriad of other activities led by Boyd Varty and Master Trackers, Alex and Renias.
Luxurious accommodations at Londolozi’s Varty Camp for 5 days/4 nights.
Three meals a day of world-class cuisine plus beverages (including house wines, local brand spirits and beers).
6-7 hours of daily tracking and coaching sessions, both group and one-on-one coaching.
An experience of the wilderness truly unlike any other, with the best trackers on the planet.
*Please Note: Air Travel to and from Johannesburg, your Federal Air flight to and from Londolozi, and gratuities for staff are not included in the registration fee.
Track Your Life Registration Fee:
The Track Your Life Retreat takes place June 20 – 24, 2017
$7610 double occupancy – you will be sharing a Varty Camp Chalet with one other participant
Once you reserve your spot with Stephanie Hallock, you’ll have the option of making a single payment of $7610, or two payments of $3805 each. Should you choose the two-pay option, your first payment is due upon registration, and your second payment will be deducted automatically from the same credit card 30 days later.
Space is Limited to 6 men
Due to the physical nature of this retreat, you must be able to walk for 4-6 hrs (approximately 5-6 miles) per day, over uneven terrain in order to participate. If you are not sure about your abilities, please do contact Stephanie Hallock to discuss further.
Ready to Register?
Claim your spot now by emailing Stephanie Hallock or by completing this form below:
If you cancel on or before April 30, 2017, you will be refunded the registration fee paid, less a $1500 administration fee. If you cancel between May 1 – 31, 2017 50% of the registration fee paid will be refunded. No refunds will be issued for cancellations received after May 31, 2017.