Few campfires in Africa – or indeed anywhere – have had so much history stem from their flames as the one that still burns in Londolozi’s Varty Camp, over 95 years after it was first lit. For almost a century, the warm glow emanating from these same flames has given rise to ideas, visions and discussions, many of which helped shape the African safari industry as it exists today.
Londolozi Varty Camp is the heart and soul of Londolozi. This original camp is a tapestry of brick paths, dolerite rock walls, waterfalls and tangled vines echoing simple spaces with unencumbered river view backdrops. Each room has its own private swimming pool, outdoor shower and outdoor dining sala, framed by timber decks raised off the ground under the shade of an ancient riverine forest.
The tones of the camp reflect the owners’ almost 100-year love affair with this land and therefore place an emphasis on family and heritage.
The camp’s sumptous meals can be enjoyed in the dining area, around the boma campfire or under a starlit skies. The menus are a combination of Varty family recipes and Pan-African fare. The main deck and cocktail bar offer awe-inspiring views of the Sand River.
6 Quick facts about Londolozi Varty Camp
– Londolozi Varty Camp Rating:
– Emotion Factor:
– Photography Rating:
– Known For: Big 5, Leopard Dynasty, The Original South African Safari Lodge
– Location: Sabi Sands Game Reserve, Kruger National Park
– Price Tier: $$$$
- Home to the original Londolozi camp my great grandfather built in 1926
- With a strong emphasis on family heritage, your children are welcome here
- Beautifully designed suites, all with private plunge pools and river views
- Relax on the main deck with glorious views of wildlife moving through the Sand River
- World-class game viewing accompanied by highly trained guides and experienced local wildlife trackers
- Londolozi camps and reserve voted best in Africa by Condé Nast Traveller
Londolozi Varty Camp Reviews
Read what others think about their experience at Londolozi Varty Camp:
Most Amazing Place Ever! Highly Recommend
“Stayed at Varty Camp in February this year. Was the most amazing holiday we’ve ever had from start to finish. We had Paul as our driver and he was lovely. Really got to know the group & interacted with us like friends. All the team are so welcoming and made us feel at home.
Food – was brilliant. We never went hungry and all the food was 5*. Loved the sundowners every evening. On our last night the team organised a special surprise which was one of the best evenings ever (although I won’t give too much away).
Safari – we saw all of the big 5. Saw a pack of lions and their gorgeous babies which was the highlight of the trip. We saw two leopards which were absolutely stunning. Paul and our spotter Freddie amazed us as they found so many amazing animals for us to see.
Accommodation – simply beautiful. Looks amazing in photos but even better in real life. Plunge pool is lovely to come back to after a drive.
Location – we flew into Skukza which was only an hour away from the camp.
Overall, I cannot recommend this place enough. We stayed at another camp in Kruger during our time which, as is amazing as it was, did not compare to Londolozi. The accommodation is beautiful, the whole team are so lovely and welcoming and you’ve got a really good chance of seeing all the big 5. Book Now!”– EmsyFog (Trip Advisor)
Londolozi Varty Camp Video
90 Years of New Beginnings
Activities Between Game Drives
The camp’s holistic approach to a classic African safari means that there are many things to keep you occupied both in camp and out in the wilderness. Guests can experience game drives, guided bush walks, wellness treatments, stargazing, birdwatching and Shangaan cultural visits or the less energetic can simply curl up with a book from the Camp’s library. The emphasis on family heritage means that kids are particularly welcome at Varty Camp.
Many guest activities can be found within the surrounds of Varty Camp. These include the Guest Gym, Photographic Studio and Living Boutique as well as the restorative Healing House. The charming “original Sparta Camp” located in the heart of Varty Camp, represents generations of history which echoes a bygone era before Londolozi existed.
- Daily yoga classes
- Access to the Londolozi Gym
- The Londolozi Village Walk.
- Treatments at Londolozi’s Healing House
- Shopping at Londolozi Living Boutique
- Photographic Studio sessions and camera equipment rental (pre-booking recommended for all)
Location of Londolozi
Londolozi Varty Camp is situated in the Sabi Sands Game Reserve bordering the Kruger National Park, South Africa.
Varty Camp on the map in the Sabi Sands
Londolozi Varty Camp Coordinates:
How to Get to Londolozi Varty Camp
Read all about traveling to Londolozi Varty Camp and how to get to the Sabi Sands in general by air and by road.
- Federal Air operates a daily flight from Johannesburg International Airport to Londolozi Airstrip, which is a five-minute drive from the camp.
Flights to & from Skukuza Airport
- Experience the heart of the African bush with daily direct flights with Airlink from Johannesburg and Cape Town to Nelspruit KMIA and Skukuza Airport gateway to the Kruger National Park and the private game lodges.
- A short, small aircraft transfer connects you onward to Londolozi’s doorstep on Airlink’s Lodge Link service to the Londolozi Airstrip
- Alternatively a 90 minute road transfer from Skukuza Airport to Londolozi is available on request
Charter Flights & Privately owned aircrafts
- Private charters on request
- Helicopter transfers on request
- Indemnity Form to be completed prior to privately own aircraft arrival
- Complimentary transfers between Londolozi Airstrip and the various camps at Londolozi
- Londolozi is a two and a half hour transfer from Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport to Londolozi, available on request.
- 500KM from Johannesburg, an easy six-hour drive on National Roads.
- Take the N12/N4 from Johannesburg to Nelspruit
- Keep right on N4 to bypass Nelspruit city centre
- Take next offramp and follow signs to R40 through Nelspruit to White River
- Keep on R40 from White River to Hazyview
- Please switch off all GPS devices and follow the next points carefully
- Take a right onto R536 from Hazyview towards Paul Kruger Gate
- After turning right onto the R536 at Hazyview proceed 34.6 km
- Turn left onto a tar road sign posted “Newington Gate” and proceed 9km until you reach an obvious four way crossing
- Turn right at the crossroads and proceed 2.4km where the road veers to the left at a sign directing you to Newington Gate
- After veering left at the sign proceed approximately 800m to the gate
- Once you get through Newington Gate Londolozi is well sign posted and should take you 30 min
- When you reach Londolozi look for the Varty Camp sign posts
- The Sabi Sand Wildtuin levies a cash vehicle entrance fee of ZAR280.00 per vehicle and ZAR120.00 per person in the vehicle as well as any individual arriving by air. (subject to change)
- Access by road through Newington Gate ONLY
Useful information before traveling to Londolozi Varty Camp in the Sabi Sands Game Reserve
Included in the Stay
- All meals, teas and coffees daily
- Soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers
- Two game drives daily in open Land Rovers
- Nature walks accompanied by experienced armed rangers
- One group yoga class per day situated at Founders Camp
- Fitness Room situated at Varty Camp
- Children six years and older are welcome at Varty, Founders and Pioneer Camps, no children under the age of 16 at Private Granite & Tree Camps, except if exclusive use of the camp is taken
- Children – Cubs Den program
- Transfers to/from Londolozi airstrip to lodge
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
Excluded in the Stay
- Early morning and late afternoon departures – contact reservations
- Healing House treatments
- Telephone calls
- Londolozi Living Boutique purchases
- Photographic Studio rentals and tuition
- Champagne, cognacs, cellar wines, premium brand spirits, cigars & cigarettes
- Transfers to and from the lodge
- Airport taxes or landing fees, where applicable
- Self drive park entrance fee, R280 per vehicle + R120 per person – subject to change without further notice
- Noise impact levy R4 500 for flights landing/departing before 09h00 or after 16h00
- Pilot room R3250 per day, one night only for one pilot (No Guide Rooms)
- Private Vehicles
- Children over the age of six are welcome at Varty Camp and with some of the chalets inter-leading, Varty Camp is perfect for families.
Londolozi Varty Camp Prices
Price Tier: $$$$
- 2023 Rates: ZAR 19,950 (Valid from 16 Dec 2022 – 15 December 2023)
- 2024 Rates: ZAR 22,950 (Valid from 16 Dec 2023 – 15 December 2024)
Rates are per person per night sharing. Please note: A single supplement may be applicable.
Book a Classic Safari at Londolozi Varty Camp
We believe in safari as a journey that immerses the senses and awakens the spirit. To have an encounter with wild animals in the African bush is to discover an essential truth about ourselves and our world. For all of us who live the Londolozi feeling, our deepest wish is to give you the chance to experience this for yourself.
I hope you have found all information needed to decide that Londolozi Varty Camp in the Sabi Sands Game Reserve is the perfect place for your next travel adventure.
Please fill in the contact form and one of my team members will get back to you soon.