Boyd begins preparing for his immersion into the wilderness by spending the morning tracking a pride of lions which ends in an unusual encounter. Together with the increase in temperature at the end of the summer season Boyd contemplates the impact of the weather (hot and cold, dry and wet) on his time in the wilderness.
Boyd discusses books that he is considering taking out to the treehosue with him. Some titles include:
- The Call of the Wild – Jack London
- The Ivory Trail – Cecil Barnard and T. V. Bulpin
- West with the Night – Beryl Markham
- The Overstory – Richard Powers
- St Francis of Assisi – Richard Rohr
Boyd tells the story of Shangaan tracker Winnis Mathebula and some of his ingenious bushcraft borne from a life of simplicity.